Wednesday, June 27, 2018

First Love


This summer the Lord has been taking me on a journey of simplicity, of contentment, awe and wonder at Who He is and what He has done for me. How He desperately loves me and pursues me every.single.day. Sitting in His presence and just being with Him, I have been blown away by Him.

It all started in the book of Philippians as I sat, really sat and pondered, 2:6-8. Listen to these words- "(6)who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, (7)but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. (8)Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."


Reread that a time or two and ask the Lord to really soften your heart to His gift to us. We grasp this amazing truth when we accept Him as our Lord and Savior, but I fear too often and too soon we forget this incredible gift.

If you are like me, you have had a relationship with the Lord for a long time. You have walked with Him and your relationship with Him has grown and matured. But somewhere along the way, we have forgotten our First Love. We do 'all the things' for Him, but not with Him. Does that make sense? Somewhere along the way we have made it about measuring up for Him instead of humbling ourselves to Him.

So, over the last few weeks, He has been peeling back the layers of my heart and mind, drawing me to Him. To just come, sit and soak Him in every day. Nothing else.

Through that my heart has returned to my First Love. My Lord and Savior. I sit in awe of Him. I sit in awe of how He poured Himself out, humbled Himself to the point of death, all for a relationship with me.

And when I sit with that truth and reality, it makes me wonder how I could ever lose sight of it in the first place. How on earth does life creep in and cover the precious truth that He loves me and invites me to simply rest in Him?

And yet there He is, with all His grace, arms wide open saying "It's ok. Just come to me. Let Me hold you and love you perfectly just as you are."

I encourage you to run to Him today. Ask Him to peel away the layers weighing you down and free you to live today in His love, His peace, His grace. Go back to your First Love and remember the sweet truth of Philippians 2:6-8.

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking a minute to share your heart with me!